I am a big fan of Nero 6 and still using it on one of my XP machine for any CD/DVD burning. I also used it’s Video Capture feature to capture videos from my Sony 42 camcorder until I know about Windows Movie Maker and its capabilities.
But then Nero turned into a bolted application “I think” in attempt to cover many many things. So I never upgraded to Nero 7 or Nero 8 or Nero 9.
ImgBurn looks promising it is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application. It has several 'Modes', each one for performing a different task:
- Read - Read a disc to an image file
- Build - Create an image file from files on your computer or network - or you can write the files directly to a disc
- Write - Write an image file to a disc
- Verify - Check a disc is 100% readable. Optionally, you can also have ImgBurn compare it against a given image file to ensure the actual data is correct
- Discovery - Put your drive / media to the test! Used in combination with DVDInfoPro, you can check the quality of the burns your drive is producing