[PS: As part of consolidation, I am moving all my SharePoint related blog post from http://www.laksha.net/SharePoint.aspx to here. This was originally posted on May 16, 2009.]
The Enhanced Blog Edition (EBE) is a SharePoint 2007 solution package which extends the out-of-the-box blog template. EBE 2.0 has been focused on individual blog sites.
Enhanced Blog Edition (EBE) 2.0 Final Release is now available for download at http://cks.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=5134#ReleaseFiles.
The EBE is deployed as a solution package (*.wsp) to either WSS 3.0 or MOSS and activated as a Feature on a blog site. You can activate the EBE feature on an existing SharePoint blog site and de-activate later without losing any data. Most of the EBE features are configurable on/off through a settings page accessible to the site admin.
Sample list of blogs using the CKS:EBE
Top features: (Copied from the CodePlex & Vendor website)
- Modular Theme Framework (MTF) - no need to wrestle with the default blog master page - start from the HTML you want and simply insert the blog content via XSL.
- SEO Friendly URL's - blog post URL's that look like /archive/2007/08/25/sharepoint-chart-tool.aspx instead of /Lists/Posts/ViewPost.aspx?ID=37
- 5 very cool themes to use as-is, or to get you started on the development of your own including dynamic per-post links (e.g. Digg this), tag cloud, etc. Check them out here
- Linkbacks (aka Trackbacks)
- Send linkbacks to other blog posts you are linking to in your EBE blog post (these show up as trackbacks on the other blog)
- Receive linkbacks from other blogs who are posting about your blog post (these show up as trackbacks on your EBE blog)
- Spam control
- Custom RSS link (e.g. http://feeds.feedburner.com/myblog)
- Post trimming (only a portion of post is sent via RSS)
- Specify RSS feed item count
- Category specific feeds (e.g. /rss.xml?cat=coolstuff)
- Validates W3C
- Securing of system pages (e.g. so anonymous users can't browse your lists and libraries using SharePoint UI)
- Metaweblog API to support Windows Live Writer and migration tools.
- Client Date/Time - displays date/time in time zone of user instead of server