[PS: As part of consolidation, I am moving all my SharePoint related blog post from http://www.laksha.net/SharePoint.aspx to here. This was originally posted on April 01, 2009 22:31.]
Bellow is a step by step guide for creating Microsoft Virtual PC image for SharePoint 2007 development. The steps include configuration settings for creating Virtual PC machine & hard disk, installation & optimization of Windows 2008 and all development tools needed for development of SharePoint 2007. The step includes following tasks in order:
- Prepare VPC – Create Virtual Hard disk & Virtual Machine – [View details bellow]
- Install Windows Server 2008 – [View details bellow]
- Windows Updates & select option for “Get updates for more products” – [View details bellow]
- Add Web Server IIS role [View details bellow or check this post - Add Web Server IIS Role in Windows Server 2008]
- Install KB 950636 (For Installing SQL Server 2005 on Windows Server 2008) - [View details bellow]
- Install SQL Server 2005 - [View details bellow]
- Install SQL Server 2005 SP3
- Run Windows Updates
- Install VS 2008 Team Edition
- Run Windows Updates
- Office 2007 Enterprise
- Windows Updates
- SharePoint Server 2007 with SP1
- SharePoint Server 2007 Infrastructure update
- Share Point Designer
- Visual Studio Extensions for Windows SharePoint Services 1.3
- Either upgrade to IE 8 or install Internet Explorer Toolbar. IE 8 already have developer tool bar.
- .Net Reflector from http://www.red-gate.com/products/reflector/
- Fiddler - http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/
- WFetch – You can install WFetch as standalone or complete “IIS Diagnostics Toolkit”.
- XML Notepad - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=72d6aa49-787d-4118-ba5f-4f30fe913628&displaylang=en
- You may also want to install all or few of the tools suggested at “Ten Must-Have .NET Tools Every Developer Should Download Now” - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc300497.aspx
Bellow is more details on few important steps:
1. Prepare VPC – Create Virtual Hard disk & Virtual Machine & Install Windows Server 2008
I would recommend going through this article to install Windows Server 2008 using Virtual PC - http://blogs.technet.com/josebda/archive/2007/08/05/testing-windows-server-2008-using-virtual-pc-step-by-step.aspx - Testing Windows Server 2008 using Virtual PC (step-by-step)
This is a very good article on what options to select while creating virtual machine using the Microsoft Virtual PC. One change I strongly recommend is to use dynamic hard disk with hard disk size expandable up to 120GB. In dynamic hard disk you don’t need all 120GB space immediately and it will grow as needed. Max you can select is 130GB.
2. Run Windows Updates & select option for update from other products
Click at Get updates for more products. A new windows will open. Scroll down and accept the terms and click at install.
2. Convert your Windows Server 2008 to a Workstation -
This website has great tips and I recommend these changes - Installation, Drivers, Wireless Networking, New User, Auto Logon, Shutdown Tracker, Ctrl+Alt+Del, Computer name, Performance, Internet Explorer Enhanced Security.
3. Add Web Server IIS Role
Run Start->Programs->Administrative Tools->Server Manager. Then click on Add Role and
4. Installing SQL Server 2005 on Windows Server 2008 -
The key is you must install the KB 950636 hotfix before installing SQL Server 2005.
If you planning to install SQL Server 2005 Reporting Service also then you will need to install IIS6 compatibility features as well. Go through this article for exact details - Installing SQL Server 2005 Reporting Service on IIS 7 - http://igregor.net/post/2008/01/Installing-SQL-Server-2005-Reporting-Service-on-IIS-7.aspx
You will also need to provisioning the admin user.