ISSUE: When I try to install Windows 7 on my home desktop computer (Compaq Presario SR2020NX) it show me following error message.
“Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information.”
RESOLUTION: After some search & research I found that this issue is because I have 2 hard disk in my desktop computer. To resolve this issue only option that works is to open the computer and disconnect the second drive.
If you have more then 2 disks then disconnect all but one where you will be installing the Windows 7. So I open my computer and disconnect the 2nd hard disk. I run the setup again and everything work perfectly fine. Also after install I re-connected my 2nd hard disk without any issue.
ALTERNATE OPTIONS: that did not work:
1. Delete other partition on the hard disk where I wanted to install Windows 7. But I did not delete or format the 2nd hard disk.
2. In the BIOS setup I verify and updated the boot sequence to 1st boot from CD/DVD and then from the hard disk where I wanted to install the Windows 7.
ALTERNATE OPTIONS: that I did not try:
3. Boot from Windows XP CD/DVD and create and format the hard disk where you want to install Windows 7. Once partition is created and formatted then shut down and boot from Windows 7 DVD. I have not try this option.
Technical details of the computer & Windows 7 I used for this:
1. Hardware: Compaq Presario SR2020NX, AMD 64 Athlon
2. Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
RELATED ISSUE: Check out another post related to similar issue - Bootmgr Is Missing - Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart