- Fixed issue where banners were not properly rotated according to the specified views/clicks
- Fixed issue where upgrades could fail if the the user account did not have permission to update objects in some db schemas
- Fixed issue where list values were visible outside of the Portal where they were created.
- Fixed issue where caching providers were not rendering unicode characters properly.
- Fixed issue with missing Telerik assembly in the source package.
- Fixed issue where Ajax HostSetting was not properly set on upgrade from 4.x installations.
- Fixed issues where upgrades would fail with a unique index violation
- Fixed issue with the Starter Kit which was missing HTML module files
- Fixed issue where page templates were not working correctly
- Fixed default settings for the module and output caching providers
- Fixed issue which prevented Blog module from working after some upgrades to 5.x
- Fixed issue when creating a new module in the Module Definition Wizard if the .ascx extension was not specified.
- Fixed issue where localization was not working if the application virtual directory name was also part of the module name.
- Fixed issue where the FriendlyName for Schedule Items was not being saved.
- Fixed issue where GetUserCountByPortal was making excessive database calls instead of using cached values
- Added binding redirect setting in web.config to prevent versioning issues with Telerik assembly
30 December 2009
22 December 2009
There are lots of suggestion in the internet to solve this issue. What worked for us is listed as below. This issue is also explained in more details in Microsoft KB article - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/971620 which says:
1. Go to SharePoint Central Administrator and select Operations –> Convert license type
2. Convert License Type page will show a warning message “Office SharePoint Server Trail with Enterprise Client Access License”. You will also notice that “Enter the Product Key” box is enable.
To solve the issue, enter the product key you have for your SharePoint installation and click OK.
3. It will apply the key and show you a success message.
4. Check the Convert License Type page again. Now it will show you the correct message - “Office SharePoint Server with Enterprise Client Access License”. Also you will notice “Enter the Product Key” is not disabled.
5. Re-start the IIS (iisreset)
6. Search again and it should work.
7. You can also download a patch from Microsoft KB article - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/971620
10 December 2009
This is video of an MIT student – Pranav Mistry who has developed a technology which is so incredible that it will change the world!! you just saw this and you will completely awestruck. The best part is that it will be available as early as next month!
09 December 2009
VMware Recently introduce latest version of VMware Workstation 7 for both Linux and Microsoft Windows with a new functionality and this changes and new feature makes VMware Workstation best Virtualization software
You can download trial version of VMware Workstation 7 from below link
07 December 2009
Winner of the Group Dance Competition & Talent Show 2009. This program was organized by Gujarati Society of Central Florida.
Kids won Best Dance Overall, Best Costume & Best Choreography awards in the minor professional dance category. The dance is Choreographed by Rakhi Sharma (Laksha Dance). It was 3rd consecutive win by this group in this Dance competition. They are winner of 2007, 2008 and 2009 in the minor professional dance category.
Rakhi want to keep Video private for now so if you are interested in watching performance video then please let me know and I will send invite from You Tube.
05 December 2009
Some time we need to send mail on particular date and time this is possible with email Client (Like – Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) but your computer must be ON on that scheduled time to send mail from email client because email client working on local computer. Now you can Schedule your email online using your existing email address.
This is Possible with following online Service.
With this service, you can write emails with your existing email address, and they will get sent at the exact date, or dates that you specify - down to the minute.
28 November 2009
Configuring Live ID In DotNetNuke – Allow Your Visitors to Use Live ID (Dotnetnuke Based Website)
SEO, Traffic Analysis
If you have not yet download & installed Live Writer & metaPost then please follow the steps in - Live Writer & metaPost For Dotnetnuke - How to Download, Install & Configure.
You will need edit permission on the one or more HTML module in the website.
key=html is the frendly name of the HTML module. If you are using Dotnetnuke version older then 5.1 then you should use key=text/html.
sid=659 is the module id of one of the HTML module in the website where you have edit permission.
You can find the module id while you in the edit mode or in the setting of the HTML module.
Laksha Website - HTML Modules
From Live Writer Menu select File –> Open. It will display a dialog box where you can select “Open From” your draft, recent post or from blog & website account you have configured in the Live Writer. Select your Website from the left bar. Live writer will display a list of all the HTML modules on your website.
Isn’t it awesome? Select one from the list and click OK.
You can make changes and click publish to post it to your website. You will still need to login to your website to create new pages and drop new HTML modules. But once you did that you can maintain it later using Live Wtiter.
You can also read my earlier blog post on Windows Live Writer
What is Live Writer & metaPost
Windows Live Writer is a powerful tool to create, edit the blog post. Live Writer does not have inbuilt ability to post on a Dotnetnuke based website (as of Nov 28, 2009). There are several paid plug-ins available for the Live Writer that allow you to integrated it with a Dotnetnuke based website and Dotnetnuke modules. The one that I used and liked is metaPost Community Edition. metaPost allow you to edit several Dotnetnuke modules like blog, Html, Announcement. It also allow you to post & edit your articles on Ventrian News Articles module in Dotnetnuke.
You will need host account to be able to install the metaPost Community Edition in your website. If you do not have host account then please contact your administrator to install this module.
Windows Like Writer – http://download.live.com/writer. Install steps ate very simple just like any other Microsoft product.
metaPost Community Edition – Download metaPost Community Edition form Snowcovered website. Click Download metaPost to open snowcovered metaPost page and then select the free Community Edition. Click Add to Cart, follow the checkout process and download metaPost on your local machine.
How to Install metaPost
Login to your website using host account. Go to Host –> Extensions to open Extension page. Then select Install Extension Wizard from Module Setting dropdown.
Brows and select the metaPost zip file you downloaded from Snowcovered. Click Next and follow the instructions in the install Wizard.
It will show package install report in the end.
Click return button on the install report page and confirm you see the metaPost in the installed module list.
Configure Like and metaPost to Edit Dotnetnuke pages (HTML module)
You can also read my earlier blog post on Windows Live Writer
27 November 2009
- Added Module Information to the Help page
- Added ability to view and edit the source files for a module
- Enhanced the module creation wizard to simplify creating new module definitions
- Added the ability to automatically create a test page as a step in the module creation wizard
- Added a core API to support content localization
- Added the ability to import/export page and module settings
- Added the ability to immediately run a scheduled task
- Added module caching provider API
- Converted existing module caching feature to use new provider
- Added page output caching provider API
- Fixed issue where upgraded sites do not properly set the default Language
- Fixed issue where scheduler could execute a a long-running task multiple times
- Fixed issue where improperly formatted email addresses could result in error when sending system emails
- Fixed issue which resulted in incorrect URL for SiteMap in a child portal
- Fixed issue which caused error when deleting files from the Host file manager.
- NOTE: System requirements have changed in DotNetNuke 5.2.0. DotNetNuke requires SQL Server 2005 or above and .NET 3.5 SP1. Please upgrade SQL Server and .NET before installing or upgrading to DotNetNuke 5.2.0.
You can download it from Dotnetnuke website or using following download links.
I normally use Source Code Package as it gives me easy way & complete flexibility to change code. But in general you want to start with Install Package (shared hosting) or Microsoft Web Platform Installer (local machine or dedicated server). You will still able to change Skin related code whichever version you use.
|Easy to install Microsoft Web Platform Installer Wizard|
|Install Package|| |
Contains only the files needed for a run-time deployment to a web server. Download the Install Package if you want to deploy a live site to a web server with the minimum required files.
|Upgrade Package|| |
Contains only the files needed for upgrading an existing installation (does not include module packages). Download the Upgrade Package if you want to upgrade an existing installation to a newer version.
|Source Code Package||Contains everything including full application source code. Download the Source Package if you are a web developer interested in the DotNetNuke web application framework source code.|
|Visual Studio Starter Kit||This MSI installs Visual Studio Templates for creating websites, modules and skins in Visual Studio. Download the Starter Kit if you are a web developer interested in creating skins or modules for the DotNetNuke web application framework using Visual Studio.|
For larger organization who are using Dotnetnuke for business-critical application should also consider buying Professional, Elite and Elite Premier Editions. Elite and Elite Premier Editions is additional support on top of DotNetNuke Professional Edition codebase.
Watch a recording of the DotNetNuke Installation webinar.
26 November 2009
What Is Kuler:
Kuler is a website by Adobe to help anyone generating color themes. I will not say that using Kuler you could match the expertise of a graphics designer in any ways. But using Kuler you can get a decent idea on color palettes, different color schemes and overall color themes for a selected color. You get basic ideas of which color can go with your website logo color or website main color.
Purpose of this post is just to give you a jump start without talking too much technical details and all the possibilities Kuler have. There are few great tutorials available if you want to learn more to get full advantage of Kuler. I added further reading links at the end of this post. Please feel free to add other useful links by commenting to this blog post.
HOW TO – Basic Steps:
Following are easy steps on how to you can use Kuler to find color theme and color pallet for your website.
1. Open Kuler website http://kuler.adobe.com/
2. Select “Create” –> “From a Color”
3. Enter a color code below one of the box (chose the one says base color). You can chose any box as base color. I chose base color as EE872B.
4. Hit enter to generate the color themes for the selected color.
5. Adobe has define few rules to generate color themes and by default it uses Analogous rule. You can change the rule by selecting another rule in Select a Rule menu/links.
6. You may want to Login to the site using Adobe ID so you can save your color themes for future or to may be show your color themes to your client or “graphics designer” :)
6. To save a color theme, enter a title of the theme in the Title box. You can name title based on project and rule. For example I named it “Y Carbon Color Analogous”, “Y Carbon Color Monochromatic”.
7. Color Themes created by me:
Tutsplus - Using Adobe Kuler to Enhance Your Photoshop Color Workflow – Best tutorial I found.
22 November 2009
WHAT & WHY:
As a developer many time you may wish if you could run your static HTML website locally on your computer (Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2008).
Although with Static website, you could easily download and double click the index.html or home.html file to open and run other pages. But this will not give you the real world senario. For example you will not able to use a path like /images/home-page-banner.jpg. You will have to use a relative paths like ../images/home-page-banner.jpg.
Following are very easy steps to do so. These steps are for Static HTML website. I will also post steps for more advance websites that uses ASP, ASP.NET, Dotnetnuke etc and uses database server.
WHAT YOU NEED:
1. IIS Server installed on your local machine
2. FTP username, password to download files form your FTP server
3. Administrative rights on local machine. Many task will display messages requesting Administrative privilege to run the task.
1. Download files form Web Server
2. Installing IIS Server
3. Configuring website in IIS server, Add DNS in local Host file
3. Running the site
1. Downloading Files From Web Server
1. Download & Install an FTP Client. I like FileZilla which could be downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/
2. Open Filially & Site Manager using Menu File->Site Manager.
You will need FTP Host address, Username, password. You will need to login to your hosting account to find these 3 information or call customer service.
3. After entering about details click Connect. FTP will be connected and you will see few boxes in the FileZilla.
Top box for connection status and error messages
Left side box will display your computer files just like Windows Explorer while right side box will display your web server files.
4. Create a folder in your local machine (lets say c:\LocalWebsite)
5. In the right side window, select all folder & files inside htdocs folder. You can do this by selecting htdocs in upper box (folder view) and then press CTL+A in the lower box (folder & files view)
6. Drag & Drop all the selected files from right side lower box to left side lower box. TAKE ALL PRECUATIONS during this step and DO NOT drop folders & files any ware else then the left side lower box. It will take few min to few hours depending upon the size of your files over web server.
2. Installing IIS Server
Windows XP –>
1. Start –> Control Panel –> Click at Add or Remove Programs.
2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components. This will display The Windows Components Wizard.
3. Follow the Wizard to install IIS (Will post screenshot if needed. Let me know via comment)
Windows Vista, Windows 7 –>
1. Start –> Control Panel –> Click at Programs and Features
2. Click at Turn Windows feature on or off in the left side bar
3. This will display the Windows features screen. Select Internet Information Services, World Wide Web Services and few other checkboxes as shown in following screenshot. for the current task you don’t need most of them but I anyways shows you what I normally select.
Windows 2008, Windows 2008 R2
Follow the steps listed in my other post –> Windows Server 2008 - Add Role - Web Server IIS
Configuring website in IIS server, Add DNS in local Host file
Adding DNS in local Host file
1. Open Notepad using Run As Administrator Option and then open your local host file which is located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.
2. Enter the DNS entry for your local website and save. Following are some sample DNS names
Configure IIS – Windows Vista, Windows 7
1. Open IIS Server: Start –> Control Panel –> Administrative Tools –> Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
2. In the IIS expand the left side tree –> select Sites –> Right Click –> New Site. It will display Add Website screen. Enter the name you have added in the Host file
3. Click Ok
Running The Site
1. Open IE, Firefox Or Google Chrome
2. Type the DNS name that you enter in your local Host file and used when creating IIS website
3. Your website should comeup. You can make changes in files located at c:\localwebsite folder to try.
Remember to open Notepad using Run As Administrator Option and then open your local host file.
21 November 2009
Jolicloud is new OS (currently in pre-alpha stage) for Netbook. You can install programs & software on this OS as oppose to Google Chrome OS. It can run Linus, AIR& Windows applications.
Jolicloud is available by invitation only. You can request your invitation at - http://my.jolicloud.com/account/invitation?next=%2Fregister
As per Jolicloud
Jolicloud is very easy to install on your netbook and it boots pretty fast. WiFi, Bluetooth and 3G modems work out of the box on a growing list of supported hardware.
Your personal homebase contains all your settings, applications and social features. Switching to another computer and setting up the same configuration has never been easier!
Supported Device – Initial List